Wednesday, July 16, 2014

The First Day

Alright, lets do this.
My first morning in Tokyo, I sat down to my fruit and black coffee on the balcony of the apartment. The view was astonishing.
 

I was left alone to explore the city, so that is exactly what I did. At this point, I still hadn't used the metro system and I didn't feel like thoroughly embarrassing myself that day (I know realize that this is a part of traveling in a foreign country) so I decided to go by foot. At this point, I hadn't realized how freaking huge Tokyo was. I just got up and started walking with no direction or destination.
I walked for most of they day and soon realized that I needed to get back to meet my people, James and Masami, for dinner. The only problem with this is that I can't use my phone's GPS, so I just had to figure out what to do by "intuition" and various street signs. Thankfully, at most of the major intersections, there are maps showing a small area in both English and Japanese.
Mostly, I just chose a landmark and a direction and walked that way, hoping it would get me where I needed to go. Eventually, it did!
We had a wonderful dinner (without gluten) and upon arriving home, I fell asleep on the couch. My toes at this point had been taken by some fairly large blisters.
Though I have less to write about on this day, it was quite a bit more stimulating than the last. The city is beautiful and grand, and I can't get enough of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment