Thursday, July 24, 2014

That Brown Lemur That Had a Crush on Me.

So looking back a week ago, I realize that I can't remember what day or how succession the following events proceeded. I do however, remember the events well, and that is all that really counts, right?
Anyway, after learning how to navigate and take the metro (by both having it explained to me, trial, and error) I was finally able to explore further than my feet could take me.
I decided to go to a part of Tokyo called Ueno as there were many things I wanted to see in that part of town. However, that "not having a GPS" really got me again. I guess I went the wrong way when exiting the train station and I ended up at a very large wall expanding who-knows-how-long in two directions. Thankfully, you can load a map on the iPhone and it will usually work without service or WiFi. Also, another fun little trick I learned was, even without cellular data, the GPS on my phone will show a rough current location. You, my friend, are welcome for that little piece of information.
Still, even with this knowledge, I still got lost... This is, however, besides the point. With all the intuition I could muster, I chose to walk left. I soon realized that this was a mistake, but it was a little late at this point to turn back. So I just kept walking, with a large cement wall to my left and a residential area to my right. I assumed my destination, the Ueno zoo, was behind this large mass of rock, but I still needed to find an actual entrance. After a while, the sidewalk I was on began to drift away from the wall, and soon disappeared altogether. I still kept walking, just on the road, not that anyone in Tokyo strolls on the "sidewalks," anyway. I soon stumbled upon a beautiful little temple and shrine, devoted to health, beauty, and happiness. And, hey! I actually took pictures. The photos do not, in any way, capture the feeling or grandeur of the real thing, but they give a little glimpse.



Thankfully there was no one there, so I had free reign to explore as I like (nothing disrespectful or destructive, I promise). I just liked being able to look at things and walk around without feeling watched or judged. I walked along the outside of the temple, looking at the garden and streams.
I left and began walking the direction I was going before, and eventually ended up in a little town and park area. There was apparently a pretty big event going on, there were many speakers set up under some trees in the park and there was a little church service going on. There were about four people up-front singing worship songs. I stood pretty far back to watch and hum along, but there soon came a volunteer who handed me a piece of paper. I'm guessing it had song lyrics on it, but I guess I'll never know. The worship ended and some sort of minister came up to preach. From the volunteers shirts, which had a little blurb of English, I guessed it was a Christian ministry. There was an impressive mass of people who came to watch, many of which were sitting on the ground with old cardboard and newspaper. After a good while of sitting and watching the preacher, I mustered enough courage to hand the paper back to the volunteers and began to walk further in the park. It was quite beautiful. I soon stumbled onto some bathrooms (thank the Lord) which ended up having no toilet paper, but when you got to go, you got to go. Upon exiting the toilet, I scanned the park and spotted the entrance to the zoo! I went up the automatic kiosk for the tickets (because I am a whimp and don't want to deal with the language barrier) and entered. If I had just waited a few more minutes, the toilets at the zoo had toilet paper.
I realize now how sad it is to go to a zoo by yourself. It is much more fun with a companion. I did make friends with a lemur and some bats, so that was good.


Whether it be sad or lame, I spend an excessive amount of time with the lemur. It was in a rather secluded part of the zoo and it didn't look it got many visitors. The thing I though was the most interesting it that it would refuse to look me in the eye. It's gaze would follow me wherever I went in the room, yet when I got up close, it would keep glancing down to ground and then up to my face. It's actions were just vaguely human. It was probably just cause it was a caged, trapped, nervous animal, but I would like think that we had a connection, you know.
I love the differences between the sorts of animals in this zoo than the zoos back in America (and trust me, I've been to a lot of zoos). Its rare I get to see large animals I haven't heard of (cause I'm a major nerd) and I loved seeing the few there.
One example is this guy. Look at how cool he is:


Pretty chill, right?
I'll admit I have heard of the Japanese Salamander many times before, but I have never had the chance to see one in real life, so I enjoyed catching up with this guy (there is my umbrella for reference):


Not only was this zoo full of interesting and beautiful animals, but it also had impeccable landscaping. There was a boardwalk going over a giant pond full of foliage leading to more enclosures.


As you can see in the last picture, the day was rather gloomy (hence the umbrella). I arrived in the middle of rainy season and a typhoon. Reminds me of home (well, not the typhoon part).


After I made sure I saw every animal in that zoo, I estimated where the University of Tokyo was and started to walk that way (in other words, more intuition!). After not knowing where I was and walking the direction that I guessed was best, I arrived at, guess what!
Another wall! I assumed this nicer, brick wall was enclosing the university, so I walked alongside it for a while until I came to and entrance. It was guarded, which made me a little nervous (I know I have no reason to be, but I can't help but think I might do something wrong). I still walked in, with no hitches. I know what your thinking, "um, Valerie? You don't know Japanese, why do you want to go to university in Tokyo?"
I assure you, I have no plans to go to university in Japan and was not "touring" it in any way, I just have heard a lot about it and I was in the part of town, so why not? I sat down under this tree on campus. I wish I would have taken a picture. It was in the middle of courtyard, standing proud and tall. Its roots had broken through the ground, cracking the cement benches in two. I just think its rather poetic how a tree can brake free of the bounds put on it by humans. After getting up and walking around for a bit, plus listening to a group of Japanese guys make fun of Americans in English, I chose to try and find the train station. And yes, this would be yet another challenge of my internal compass. But I prevailed! After yet another situation of looking at vague street maps and hoping I was walking the right way, I ended up at the correct train station. I got home and "freshened up," meaning I applied a lot of deodorant and did my best to mask my stench, and went to meet James and Masami for dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment