Monday, July 14, 2014

Get Going

So after some late night packing and finally getting into bed at four o'clock a.m., I was ready to go. I could write some eloquent paragraph recalling all the stimulating thoughts I had while getting ready that morning (in other words, "last minute packing") and driving to the airport, but I don't really want to do that nor, do I think, that you would want to read that.
It was a rather relaxing morning. I chatted with a very nice (looking) young man while going through security soon after I was thoroughly embarrassed by my parents shouting after me. He held a striking resemblance to Will Graham, with the hair, glasses, flannel, and everything. Needless to say, I was flattered. Apparently SeaTac airport has started a program bringing in local musicians to play live music during the day, so I got to listen to some folk music sounding quite similar to Danny's Song while I waited to board. 
I was seated in the literal back of the plane. My seat was up against the back bathroom, thus I couldn't lean back or anything. I was, however, put next to a couple of old Japanese ladies, one of whom spoke English. They were traveling with a friend whose seat was about 10 rows up. They asked me if I would be willing switch with her, and I of course had nothing keeping me there, so I complied. By their reactions, you'd think I was donating a kidney. After thanking me profusely, I settled into my new seat. This time I was put in between two more ladies. I didn't end up chatting with either of them, as I was determined to get some sleep. That was a joke. The plane's entertainment was completely free. After marathoning 4 movies in a row, I decided I should probably try to actually sleep. Two hours later I was awoken for breakfast. The only food they had were two different kinds of pasta, so I sucked it up and just tried to only get the meat. Figuring out the gluten thing is going to be a pain. 
I guess by this time, it was already July seventh, seeing that Japan is 16 hours ahead of Seattle. We landed and I exited the plane. As I walked up to baggage claim, the same ladies I gave up my seat for came up and thanked me again. 
Now from the airport, I had to take a shuttle title "Friendly Airport Limousine" to a hotel in downtown Tokyo. It was a gorgeous ride. Everything is so green, and even the boarders between the roads had trimmed plants. 
I arrived at the hotel, and waited for my cousin's (once removed) wife. Upon meeting we lugged my freakishly heavy suitcase up their house. Because the two of them work for the American Embassy, they live in American-style apartments on the Embassy's compound. The view of the city is impeccable.
When we got to the apartment, I dove straight into the maps of Tokyo. After a while of figuring out what I was going to do for the next few days, my cousin arrived at the house and the three of us left for dinner. Korean was on the menu for the night. It was quite tasty, and figuring out what had gluten and what didn't wasn't so bad, I just couldn't have any of the sauce. 
The waiter asked us to take a survey in exchange for a free mug, so I stared blankly at the piece of paper while I pretended to know what I was reading.
Those were my first two days. Nothing too exciting, but it was all very fun for me. 
I'll post later... Sometime... 

No comments:

Post a Comment